Reasons to File a Police Report Following an Automobile Accident
Following an automobile accident in Texas, the first thing those involved should do is seek medical attention. However, with the exception of medical care, the most important thing that an injured party should do following an accident is file a police report. Police reports typically contain the following kinds of information:
- A description of any vehicle damage sustained in the accident
- The location of the accident
- The insurance information of the respective parties
- A description of the cause of the accident
- The date and time of the accident
- A description of injuries sustained by the parties
- The names and contact details of witnesses
The Importance of Police Reports
Police reports are useful for substantiating legal and insurance claims. When a police report is created in a timely manner following an accident, it ensures that the legal representatives and insurance companies involved in a particular case will possess the information needed to pursue their claims. In fact, a police report is often the primary document relied upon by courts and insurance companies when determining issues such as liability, fault, and financial responsibility.
What to Do Following an Automobile Accident
Following the receipt of medical care and filing of a police report, the following steps should be taken:
- Compile medical records – After medical treatment is received, copies of all medical records should be compiled by the injured party. Medical records help to demonstrate the extent of one’s injuries to both courts and insurance companies.
- Obtain or take photographs – If possible, one should obtain or take photographs of the scene of the accident. In addition, photographs of all visible injuries sustained in the accident should be obtained. Photographic evidence is a fantastic method of demonstrating possible causes of an accident and the severity of any injuries sustained.
- Save records and receipts – Records and receipts of all expenses related to the accident should be saved. Such items are useful for demonstrating financial loss.
Texas Automobile Accident Legal Representation
If you’ve been injured in an automobile accident in Texas, please consider contacting us to discuss your situation. At the Law Office of Phil Baker, we leverage our extensive knowledge and skills to make sure you receive the full value of your claim, which also considers any future injuries and medical expenses. And if the insurer fails to make a fair and reasonable offer, we are ready and willing to take your case to court. At our Texas law office, we can help you recover for lost wages, medical expenses, loss of earning capacity, pain and suffering, and other losses. In addition, we handle all accident cases on a contingency basis, which means that you don’t pay us a dime unless your claim is successful. If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident, please contact us for a free consultation.
Posted in: Personal Injury